The carefree days of summer are coming to a close (sorry, kids), and everywhere you look, there are reminders that in just a few weeks, the first school bell will ring and students will trudge back to class.
During a recent shopping trip, I noticed the school supply aisle was already completely packed with students and their families, getting a jump-start on those back-to-school bargains. I saw them filling their carts with pens, notebooks, binders—the usual stuff. But for students about to head off to college for the first time, many wonder what they’ll need in addition to those backpack staples.
I recently read a Huffington Post article that listed items college students need but often forget to pack. Check out these suggestions:
1) Markers, colored pencils, or crayons. Not every project or assignment is submitted online. At least once a semester, prepare to be a little creative. True story.
2) Surge protectors. An essential for adding extra and often necessary outlets.
3) Robe. You’ll be extra thankful you stuffed this cover-up in the suitcase while walking down the long halls to the communal bathrooms.
4) Carpet. They warm up a room, give feet something soft to step onto, and add a pop of color in a shared space.
5) Sewing kit. Buttons fall off (ugh, we know). They also usually can’t wait until Thanksgiving break to be mended.
6) Vacuum. It’s better to be prepared when accidents happen. Plus, some roommates are just cleaner than others.
7) Disinfecting wipes. Cleaning can be a burden (who really has time?), but wipes help get this quick and painless job done.
8) First aid kit. It’s smart to be armed (with Band-Aids) and prepared .
9) Emergen-C. For those times that everyone on the floor has caught the flu, power up with extra vitamins.
10) Sleeping mask. Sometimes sneaking in those zzz’s happens when the sun is shining or your roomie is burning the midnight oil.
11) Quarters/change. Not all machines use cards. Quarters will most likely come in handy for those unavoidable late-night snack machine raids.
12) Earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones. There’s no telling when your neighbor will decide to have a mandatory late-night dance off. At 2 a.m. on a Tuesday. The night before your Econ final.
13) Toolbox. The right tools — hammer, flat-head, nails — can come in handy when least expected.
Soon-to-be-college-students, as you’re packing these items in your bag, don’t forget to bring along your senses as well. Not those senses (smell, sight, taste, etc)… Your common sense, sense of adventure and sense of humor. Those will come in handy at college, too!
High schoolers, you obviously have some time before you need to worry about what to pack for college. Your goal this school year, especially for juniors and seniors, should be making sure that when it is time to head off to college, you’re going to the one that’s right for you. Landmark 12 Consulting can help with that. We’ll assist you with choosing a college major, find schools that match your interests, guide you through the application process, and locate scholarships for you.
Because before you need to think about surge protectors, toolboxes and sewing kits, you’ll need to first focus on SATs, campus visits and career paths. And Landmark 12 will guide you every step of the way.